Even if you follow a structured gutter repair and cleaning schedule, its important to know when your gutters need replacement. By constantly patching up structural problems, you could be wasting time and money. Sometimes it is best to start from scratch. If you notice any of these signs, call your local gutter replacement company to schedule an installation.
- Cracks And Holes: Major cracks and holes in the surface of your gutters are counterproductive. These issues are causing water to leak through, setting up the rest of your home’s exterior for water damage. Mold and mildew can also grow inside of these cracks.
- Sagging: If your gutters are sagging or pulling away from the roof, it is time to schedule new gutter installation. Sagging is caused by a variety of problems, such as heavy debris and faulty fastenings. Be sure to address this issue as soon as you notice it, preventing the gutter from falling off completely.
- Peeling Paint: If you notice paint missing from your home’s exterior, it could be because water is leaking through the gutter and down the side of your house. This excess moisture is causing the paint to peel. Schedule an inspection to confirm that this is the problem.
- Basement Flooding: When your faulty gutters allow too much water to leak to the ground, that water often pools around your home’s foundation. If you notice even a small amount of flooding in your basement, this could be the cause. Address this quickly, be careful of mold, and look for other signs of water damage.
- Broken Seams: Unless you have seamless gutters, you run the risk of the seams giving out. Seams keep the entire structure together, so be sure to be diligent in spotting this damage. Speak to a gutter professional about installing seamless gutters to avoid this problem in the future.
As you are assessing your gutters of signs of damage, remember to include your downspouts as well. You should also remember these features in your installation. You will need one downspout for every 30 to 40 feet of gutter. A gutter replacement company will be able to recommend the best material and form to replace your old gutters. They will also be able to recommend maintenance practices to keep your rain gutters working well for years to come.